Did you remember to add inspecting your garage door to your spring cleaning checklist? If not, you should. Your garage door is the largest moving part in your home, and it needs to be inspected and maintained every year. So, use these tips to make sure your overhead garage door is in tip-top shape this spring.
Tracks and Rollers
In order for your garage door to open and close correctly, you need to make sure the garage door's tracks are in good shape. So, grab your ladder and get ready to complete a close-up inspection of the tracks.
- Position the ladder at one end of the tracks so that you'll be able to see the length of the track. Then, climb the ladder so that you're eye level with the top of the track.
- Look down the length of the track to see if there is any debris along the track that could catch the rollers. If you see some debris, move the ladder to the dirty area. Then, use a wet cloth or a shop vac to get the track clean.
- Repeat the process with the other track.
In addition to cleaning the tracks, you also need to lubricate the rollers so that they don't stick. Simply put a drop of regular engine oil on each roller. Then, open or close the garage door to let the rolling motion draw the oil into the bearings.
Cables and Spring
If your overhead door isn't automatic, you also need to inspect the cables to ensure they aren't frayed and make sure the spring hasn't dried out. To inspect the cables, stand inside the garage, and open and close the garage door slowly inspecting each part of the cable as you go. Then, check the spring to make sure that it's lubricated. If it isn't, use a light coat of motor oil to lubricate it.
Other things that you need to do in order to complete your overhead garage door maintenance and inspection routine include:
- Lightly lubricate any other bearings or door hinges with motor oil.
- If you have a chain-drive system, make sure the chain is greased.
- Tighten any screws used on your garage door system.
- Listen to the sounds your garage door makes as it opens and closes. If you hear any grinding, scraping, or whirring sounds, you need to call a garage door repair company like Calgary Overhead Doors LTD.
While it isn't difficult to inspect and maintain your overhead garage door, it is a task that people tend to forget about. Make sure you inspect your garage door every spring so that you catch issues before they become huge problems.